My Mind Writes With Antique Pen


My mind writes
with an antique pen.
The poets long gone
are the muses
that whisper to me.
Dear Poe turned
the light on
with his dark verses.
He captured me
with his words
to birth my desire
 to write.

Miss Browning asked,
“How do I love thee?”
As she counted the ways
my heart dreamed
the stanzas of my own
love poem.

Emily Bronte wrote
of tears that only ceased
when others were looking.
This gave me the courage
to speak my own tears.

Inspiration comes to me
from poets long gone.
They are my teachers
speaking their lessons
through their verses.
I pray I am a student
worthy to continue
with my pen.

©Susie Clevenger 2011
 Poetry Picnic Week 16: My Life in Verse

Comments

Charlie Parant said…
This is wonderful, Susie. Now you are here to inspire us!
Dave King said…
I like this very much. The opening thrilled me particularly, the mind writing with an antique pen being a wonderful conceit. All very well crafted and a good read.
Such a inspiration in this poem. thank you for sharing Susie.

Namaste
inspirations come from poets long time ago,
cool line.

inspiring words.
Terrific write, Susie. Some wonderful examples of those who inspire us all. Nicely done!
http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/then-snared/
Laura Maria said…
What a great poem! Poe is one of my favorites too and I really liked the verse about him.
I pray your pen continues. I enjoy your longer antique pennings.

Nice Susie.
vivinfrance said…
The influence of poets lives on after them. So many great quotes have passed into everyday language, and I love your tribute poem.
you truly worthy to continue your pen, well done.

:)