I Saw Music Drown

Rain relentless,
the river is rising.
We will be fine,
it has never flooded
here before.

Sky still dark,
the rain keeps falling.
How long can
the river stay
from my door?

Wait! I hear music,
instruments playing
in the wind.
I don’t recognize
the tune.

The Cumberland
has spilled over
its banks.
The music
is not in the wind;
it is coming down river.

History changed,
it is flooding here.
Violin, guitar, mandolin
are swallowed in its surge.

Death is in the river,
but I am safe.
I will forever remember
the day I saw music drown.

© Copyright Susie Clevenger 2010

onesingleimpression

Comments

shail said…
I liked the way this unfolded.
Jim said…
Hi Susie ~~ That indeed was history changing. The river and the instrumental drowning.
Our house flooded with 33 inches of water like that one time from the rains and overflowing stream from Tropical Storm Claudette in 1979.
Mrs. Jim's piano drowned.
..
BTW, before I even started your title reminded me of ►Don Mclean's American Pie (the day the music died).
"So bye, bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry
Them good ol boys were ...
This'l be the day that I die ..."


Except that your levees were full.
..
Anonymous said…
I like the energy and images here...!
Chantell said…
You have quite a talent for poetry! I look forward to reading more of your words :o) Loved this one!