Memories in Gravel

Whenever I get homesick I take a drive on a gravel road
The powdery rattle against my wheels a dusty breath of home
Memories of where I grew up dance through my heart

A tiny house in the country in screen door welcome
Flowered curtains waving hello in the living room
Cinnamon teasing the nose as my mother cooked in the kitchen

Little girls in printed dresses playing in the front yard
Lost in their world of make believe
Mixing dirt with water to make mud muffins

My dad with his grease covered hands
Performing the surgery of a steel surgeon
Bringing a deceased motor back to life

The crunch of a rocky arrival of company
Their tire’s announcement in the driveway
A dust fogged goodbye when it was time to leave

I have little time these days to return to my childhood home
But whenever my soul pleads to see family again
I just stop and reflect on my memories in gravel

Comments