Bright Apple Cider Days


Oh October, you like to tease,
dress in bright apple cider days
painted orange, red, and yellow.

When I converse with you I ignore the signs
of the browning to come; the bleak bones
you will leave to tattoo blue sky.

Walking through your rattle whispers
I pretend winter can’t freeze your
swaying dance or drain the festival from your cheeks.

October, we are spirit sisters dressed
in sun flames collecting moments
ice can never steal or dull into lead penciled memories.  

©Susie Clevenger 2016



Comments

Sherry Blue Sky said…
I love the bleak bones left to tattoo the sky....and being spirit sisters. Beautiful!
said…
This. is incredible ... especially the last 2 stanzas.
brudberg said…
I adore the images of the warmth of October, maybe the delusion of her fiery dress is what make us survive December bones.... great contrast there.
Sanaa Rizvi said…
This is beautiful!❤️ I love the idea of October being spirit sister ❤️

Lots of love,
Sanaa
Stacie Eirich said…
October does seem to be the month of festivals - in fact, I've just been out to one today. Your poem captures the mood well, places me there & adds a chill (that I do not yet feel here in La) -- love the dance, the colour & the sunlight she still has. Thanks for sharing.
Anonymous said…
Magical and wonder filled tribute to October
Magaly Guerrero said…
Such bewitching imagery, Susie... I can close my eyes and see October tattooing the sky. Just beautiful. I love that your poem doesn't stop with October's yum, but moves to point out what will be lost... and how we keep said loss from becoming a permanent thing.
Well done, Susie! My favorite line is, "the bleak bones
you will leave to tattoo blue sky." - Excellent imagery.
Kerry O'Connor said…
I love the conversational tone and the subtle images of death... A most satisfying read.
Maude Lynn said…
That last stanza is particularly lovely!
Debi Swim said…
Apple cider days and tattooed sky- wonderful phrases