Belladonna Moon

Fear pearls the water
with its tea of forbidden...
timid grows bold…
bold grows timid…
Wicked tunnels the tongue
tearing words from flesh.
Secrets bleed, but names
are hidden…Exposure
tightens its leash.

The belladonna moon
lends its stare so night
can’t hide the window of souls.

April writes its darkest poem
with tears collected from truth.

©Susie Clevenger 2016


Day 15 #NaPoWriMo 2016


I got my word list from this section of The Waste Land by T.S. Elliot

Madame Sosostris, famous clairvoyante,
Had a bad cold, nevertheless
Is known to be the wisest woman in Europe,
With a wicked pack of cards. Here, said she,
Is your card, the drowned Phoenician Sailor,
(Those are pearls that were his eyes. Look!)
Here is Belladonna, the Lady of the Rocks,
The lady of situations.
Here is the man with three staves, and here the Wheel,
And here is the one-eyed merchant, and this card,
Which is blank, is something he carries on his back,
Which I am forbidden to see. I do not find
The Hanged Man. Fear death by water.
I see crowds of people, walking round in a ring.
Thank you. If you see dear Mrs. Equitone,
Tell her I bring the horoscope myself:

One must be so careful these days.

Comments

Anonymous said…
fear pearls, wicked tunnels, belladonna moon.... beautiful phrases and the ending "April writes its darkest poem"... just perfect
Raivenne said…
yes, the truth shall set you free, but you still have to heal from the bruises left behind from the shackles lying. You've woven Eliot's word darkly and I love it.
Ellecee said…
I like this very much, Susie. Especially
" Wicked tunnels the tongue
tearing words from flesh."
I have had conversations that feel like that.
"Exposure tightens its leash" and so it does.
De Jackson said…
Goodness, those last lines!
"April writes its darkest poem
with tears collected from truth."

Also, you had me held fast at "belladonna moon."
Delicious language. I love especially the belladonna moon. But it's all wonderful.
Gemma Wiseman said…
A wicked dabble in metaphorical drama.
Kerry O'Connor said…
Belladonna moon...

That is such an amazing image. I love the way you wove the words to make this poem out of Eliot's Waste Land.
brudberg said…
What a wonderful poem.. We worked from the same section and got so different results... I adore a Belladonna moon... luscious.
Hannah said…
I love the idea of "April" as a being writing the darkest poem...really cool perspective.
Rommy said…
You've brought Halloween to April - something I'm totally in support of! It's a nice bit of darkness.
Angie said…
For this being all broody and shadowy, there is nothing hidden here. it's all in your face and unapologetic. Great voice that's your own from Elliot's few words you chose. I'm always amazed how many paths people find to sow the same words. Wonderful. Thanks for linking up and happy poeming for the rest of April.