Ice Dancing On Shallow Words

I’ve learned how to survive
when winter is its harshest…
to dance on ice formed
by the chill of shallow words.

The river of sticks and stones
that once pulled me under
is no longer fed from
the stream of my tears.

I am who I am…..
My coat of self-acceptance
keeps me warm when pelted
by the bitter voices of an abusive storm.


©Susie Clevenger 2014




Marian at Real Toads inspired us with the song Let It Go from the animated movie, Frozen. She challenged us to write about letting go. Let It Go

(This video of members of Pentatonix singing songs from Frozen is so cute. I learned through so many tears of being bullied because I was an overweight child that humor was the perfect antidote for pain. :) )

Comments

Bekkie Sanchez said…
I enjoyed your poem very much! I started writing with Toads but got side tracked so I only linked once. I write with Mag every Sunday. I'll have to take a look at the Toads prompt next week. It's no wonder you've been published.
Grace said…
I specially like the coat of self-acceptance ~ They do keep one warm against the abusive storm ~

Happy weekend Susie ~
Linda H. said…
Very nice work, Susie. I especially like the wording of the first stanza.
Marian said…
oh sigh, Susie. thanks for the mantra, really. i need this about now. xoxo
(ps. haven't seen this video but i'm going to watch it with my kids.)
revelations said…
inspiring Susan... to pull yourself up and stride forward with confidence is a great thing to do...
Sherry Blue Sky said…
Wonderful Susie......that middle stanza especially just says it all! Loved the adorable video...those are talented kids!
Kerry O'Connor said…
I shudder to think of how much damage children can cause in one another. I'm so glad that you learnt to survive - self-acceptance is a key to positive living.
Jim said…
This is sad for me, Susie. I know it has a 'happy now' theme but thinking of the before hurts. Words, abusive ones, are hard I've had both in my life from more than one place. But sadder still was my poor mom enduring Dad's wrath. I never could figure why he was.
That too had a happier ending, Dad changed over night, with Mom but not me. I think it was at the time we started going to church.
Thank you for writing this, I shouldn't have dumped on you but I'm hitting 'send' now
..
Maude Lynn said…
Excellent work, Susie! I particularly the first stanza.
Maude Lynn said…
like the first stanza, I mean!