Too Many Whys with Champagne


The cage door will open
to free white doves……

Bury me in pearls and white satin.
Marry my corpse to the plans
of a silly girl’s heart.

Even the sun rose in brilliant yellow
to decorate the sky for my wedding,
but gasped in clouds when the altar
was untouched by your footprint.

I am no more than a forgotten silhouette
sitting under an unforgiving moon trying
to bend my pain into forgiving.

I have consumed too many whys
with the champagne while trying to understand
the reason I still bare my maiden name.

It is for the best…..really?
Who decides that is so?
I think I shall hate white roses.
They were supposed to have their thorns removed.
Yet, I am stone bleeding from the
needle stick of their deceitful bouquet.


©Susie Clevenger 2013
At Real Toads ~ A Word With Laurie she prompted us to write a
 phantasmagoric poem.

Phantasmagoric

(Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia) 1. Pertaining or relating to a phantasmagoria; of the nature of phantasmagoria; illusive; unreal.

Comments

Ellecee said…
Oh, I like this,,,how sad she is,, I particularly like the words "I have consumed too many whys
with the champagne " Been there, done that,,,for other reasons but the pain is the same.... so well done,,,
Laurie Kolp said…
Really beautifully written, Susie... I especially like:

I have consumed too many whys with the champagne while trying to understand the reason I still bare my maiden name.
Ella said…
The whole poem is unique and beautiful-wow!
I love these lines:
"Bury me in pearls and white satin.
Marry my corpse to the plans
of a silly girl’s heart."
I <3 what you have created :D Magical!
Ron. said…
I'm in absolute in agreement with the above praises for this work, and am especially enamored of these lines:
I am no more than a forgotten silhouette
sitting under an unforgiving moon trying
to bend my pain into forgiving


Your work here rocks, SC!
Anonymous said…
Heart-rending...beautiful! I love the picture combined with your words. Truly a wonderful read.
Lisa Williams said…
A truly fantastic poem, love "sitting under an unforgiving moon trying to bend my pain into forgiving."
"I think I shall hate white roses." That line is riveting... sets the time a bit in the past for me. Also, consuming "whys" with champagne, really beautiful writing, Susie. Peace, Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.com/2013/02/04/cinquains-for-real-toads/