Hell Laughs at Your Intervention


Love---you love me!
This is what you call love?
I am not a Piñata to beat
with verbal jabs about
how much I hurt you.

My skin crawls with pain
from all the ways you have
shown me love…..
Black eyes and bruises
were my Hallmark card…
You know…
”When you care enough
to send the very best.”

Each high takes me further
from my memories…
I can’t hate while feeling euphoric.

I want out of this nightmare……
Pat yourself on your egos that
you did all you could do to help me.

Hell laughs at your intervention.
Eat another piece of cake
and smile for the camera.


©Susie Clevenger 2012


Marian Kent at Real Toads provided Aimee Mann's music
as inspiration to create our work for Soon EnoughI took the
viewpoint of an intervention by people who are in denial
they were the reason behind many of the problems
of the addicted family member. Working with youth
I have seen this happen numerous times.
I have also watched desperate family members attempt  
everything they could to pull their loved one from the clutches of addiction.

Comments

Susie Swanson said…
This is so touching and heartfelt. I love how you put words together.. awesome! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
Lolamouse said…
They always try to turn it around, don't they? Making the victim feel guilty is just another manipulation. Great poem!
Marian said…
yes... surely so, yes yes. i so appreciate this, susie. so much. and my favorite line = "i can't hate while feeling euphoric." that is very true, too. excellent and thank you for this one.
Hannah said…
Wow. Susie this packs a truth-filled punch...well done taking on this voice.
Kerry O'Connor said…
I think you have nailed this prompt for all of us, Susie. Every aspect of human behaviour is grounded on cause and effect. There's a lot of hurt and pain on both sides and a lot of culpability too.
Fireblossom said…
Oh, ain't this the truth. You pulled no punches here, Susie.
Margaret said…
VERY interesting angle. Yes, I am sure this happens often, now that I think of it.
Helen said…
IN YOUR FACE ... yep, I'm shouting this. Great write!!!!
Ellecee said…
So, so true, Susie. Well done. I too, understand the line "I can’t hate while feeling euphoric"
Sherry Blue Sky said…
Perfection, Susie. It is always family dynamics, never just one person who needs to be "fixed". Awesome write. You nailed it.